The Max Planck Institute for Meteorology (MPI-M), located in Hamburg, Germany, is seeking a postdoctoral scientist with interest in the areas of cloud and water vapor. The MPI-M provides a vibrant international and interdisciplinary environment for conducting scientific research as well as access to state-of-the-art scientific facilities.
The successful applicant will work with the observational group responsible for maintaining the Barbados Cloud Observatory and support the NARVAL series of aircraft missions with German long-range research aircraft HALO. Applicants with a strong interest in using in-house data to understand the role of shallow convection in determining cloud feedbacks and in setting the structure of larger-scale circulations, e.g., convective aggregation, tropical waves, are desired. The successful applicant’s research will make a major contribution to the MPI-M’s contribution to the WCRP grand science challenge on clouds, circulation, and climate sensitivity.
- To use and curate data to better understand the role of low clouds in determining climate sensitivity and in setting the structure of tropical circulation systems.
- To help plan and contribute to future field campaigns being led by the institute.
- To help plan and prepare for the use of EarthCare.
The successful applicant should have the following qualifications:
- Ph.D. in atmospheric sciences, physics, engineering, applied mathematics or related fields are required for this position.
- A track record of excellent scientific research, which can be highlighted through the presentation of one or two first-authored scientific publications.
- An interest in working with remote sensing measurements of clouds and water vapor, experience with radar or water vapor lidar would be a plus.
- Strong programming skills are a plus.
- Strong communication and organizational skills and an ability to effectively communicate scientific understanding are desired.
Please submit a cover letter, detailed curriculum vitae, the names, addresses, and telephone numbers of two references by uploading the documents to the online web tool. Deadline to apply is August 15, 2015.
For more information, see the official job posting on the MPI-M website.