Postdoctoral Researcher in Modeling of Bioaerosols, Layer-Clouds and Climate with AI
21 February 2022 - 27 March 2022http://www.earthworks-jobs.com/climate/lund22021.html
Lund University (Sweden) welcomes applicants with diverse backgrounds and experiences to apply for this Postdoctoral Researcher position. We regard gender equality and diversity as a strength and an asset.
Bioaerosols in mixed-phase layer-clouds can initiate ice and thereby may influence the precipitation and microphysical properties of the clouds, such as the numbers and sizes of cloud-particles aloft. This in turn may influence radiative fluxes and meteorological conditions at the land surface where the bioaerosols are emitted. It is an open question whether bioaerosols, if their microphysical effects are treated in detail with competing sources of ice also represented, can influence the climate on the global scale. The project will address this topic.
These tasks will be performed:
- Upgrade a cloud model by performing some lab observations of an uncertain process of ice initiation.
- Simulate a case of layer-cloud observed in USA, comparing with coincident observations.
- Predict the impact from various groups of bioaerosols on the simulated cloud properties.
- Study this linkage between bioaerosols and clouds on the global scale by treating it in a global model of climate by means of a deep learning tool.
- Experience in numerical modelling and knowledge of mesoscale meteorology.
- A doctoral (PhD) degree in meteorology, with a bachelor’s degree in physics or engineering.
- Oral and written proficiency in English.
- Programming language experience in UNIX environments, with fluency in Fortran and either Python or C.