Aerosol Science Postdoctoral
27 September 2022 - 30 November 2022https://lanl.jobs/search/jobdetails/aerosol-science-postdoc/597c5e15-5528-4330-b82b-8f1a5e83677d
Put your expertise in atmospheric chemistry to use solving important national problems. Los Alamos National Laboratory (LANL) is a multidisciplinary research institution engaged in science and engineering on behalf of national security that includes climate and energy. You will work in the Earth and Environmental Sciences Division and will be primarily engaged with the Atmosphere, Climate, and Ecosystem Sciences Team. Our diverse team uses state-of-the-art instruments to measure aerosols and atmospheric trace gases in the laboratory and the field. Our team will support and enrich your research and professional goals through our outstanding breadth and depth of expertise in our respective fields. You will be expected to publish results in high-impact peer-reviewed journals and present your work at conferences. The term of the appointment is two (2) years, with the option to extend to a third year depending on performance and funding availability.
We seek one candidate interested in developing and applying skills related to aerosol measurements. Your research may include:
- Collect and analyze aerosol chemical data using a soot-particle aerosol mass spectrometer (SP-AMS) and/or single particle soot photometer (SP2).
- Conduct laboratory experiments on absorbing aerosols from different sources.
- Field deployment to U.S. Department of Energy Atmospheric Radiation Measurement (ARM) sites.
- Bulk and single particle SP-AMS data collection.
- Application of machine learning to complex data analysis.
- Aerosol emission and aging studies under controlled combustion environments.
- Tube furnace, aerosol instrument and oxidation flow reactor user.
Data analysis and aerosol box modeling.